The Cogdell house was designated a Granbury Historical Landmark by the city of Granbury Historic Commission December 5, 2000.
Daniel C. Cogdell, along with his wife and children settled in Granbury in 1872. In 1883, Mr. Cogdell and fellow businessman John Traylor formed their own private bank and loan company. The venture was so successful that in 1887, with three other businessmen they founded the First National Bank of Granbury. Mr. Cogdell served as President of the Hood County Milling Company, Granbury Quarry Company, and owned thousands of acres of ranch land, cattle and race horses. He lived in Granbury until his death in 1945 and is buried with his wife, Lucy, and several of their children in the Granbury Cemetery.
The current home is actually the second home on the foundation. The first home Mr. Cogdell had built was a three-story, twenty-two room Victorian. That home burned in 1905. Mr. Cogdell then hired an architect out of Fort Worth and three cabinet makers to design and build the current house. It was designed to sit on the same foundation as the first house, but was a 15 room, Arts and Crafts style house.
The home has its original maple floors downstairs, along with the original loblolly pine floors upstairs. The home has most of its original windows. The home was built with two bathrooms and the 6 1/2 foot claw foot bathtubs are still on the property in the cottages. Central heat from a coal furnace was part of the original plans for the Cogdell house, and it was piped up from the limestone basement (part of the original 1885 mansion). The 1885 fence that surrounds most of the property is still present, as is the original root cellar, which the McBride’s have not yet ventured into.